Aims and Objectives
This medical practice consists of dedicated and professional employees. We aim to provide medical care and treatment of consistently high quality for all patients and only provide services that meet patients’ needs and wishes. We aim to make care and treatment as comfortable as possible.
The purpose of Southover Medical Practice is the management of patients who are ill or believe themselves to be ill, with conditions from which recovery is generally expected, for the duration of that condition, including relevant health promotion advice and referral as appropriate, reflecting patient choice wherever practicable. It also includes the general management of patients who are terminally ill and management of chronic disease in the manner determined by the practice, in discussion with the patient and their relatives or carers as appropriate.
The Practice’s priority is to provide the highest standard of clinical care to patients registered with the Practice, ensuring we work collaboratively with other healthcare providers and support organisations, to enable more of our patients to be treated in a primary care setting, closer to home.
- To understand the expectations of our patients
- To motivate and invest in our team and acknowledge their value
- To encourage all team members to participate in achieving our aims and objectives
- To clearly set and monitor targets in all areas
The objectives of the practice are to deliver a service of high standard in line with professional standards and:
- To be accountable for individual and team performance
- To support each other in achieving patient expectations
- To maintain the highest professional and ethical standards
- To rapidly respond to the needs of our team and our patients
- To ensure our staff are trained and competent through investment and personal development
- To ensure that patients are treated with honesty and integrity, in complete confidence and with the utmost discretion
All consultations are carried out with patients (and their families/carers if appropriate), by qualified personnel in the privacy of the consultation room. Records of all consultations and treatments are kept electronically within the patients notes.
All patients wishing to register with Southover Medical Practice will be asked to complete the new patient questionnaire which informs the practice of past health and present lifestyle. This enables us to better meet a patient’s medical needs until medical notes arrive from the previous surgery.
We care about providing the right treatment to patients, so treatment and procedures are only carried out after fully discussing the benefits and risks with the patient. Patients have the right to ask questions regarding their care at any time.
Patients have the right to make their own decisions regarding medical treatment and care. This practice operates a consent policy, which will be issued on request at any time for the patient to read and understand prior to proceeding with any treatment. Consent to treatment must always be given freely and voluntarily by a person capable of making decisions regarding the treatment.
The privacy and dignity of patients is respected at all times. If a chaperone is required during a consultation or examination, this will clearly be recorded in the patient notes.
Southover Medical Practice’s regulated activities are:
- Diagnostic and screening procedures
- Treatment of disease, disorder or injury
- Surgical procedures
- Maternity and midwifery services
- Family planning
The full range of services provided (including referrals) is:
- A full range of General Medical Services
- Ante-natal Care
- Anticoagulant Service
- Baby Clinic & immunisation
- Blood Pressure Reviews
- Cervical Cytology
- Child health surveillance
- Childhood developmental checks, vaccinations and immunisations
- Contraceptive services
- Disease management services including Asthma, Diabetes, Hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- District Nurse, Health Visiting and Midwifery Services
- Ear Syringing
- Flu Clinics
- Health promotion services for young people and adults of all ages.
- Maternity Medical Services
- Minor surgery services
- New patient consultations
- Obstetrics services
- Removal of Stitches
- Smoking Cessation Service
- Travel and other immunisations
- Warfarin Monitoring
Services are provided to the whole of the population and Southover Medical Practice does not discriminate against individuals or groups on any grounds. The Practice is committed to developing and maintaining a safe and secure environment, for its patients, staff and visitors and has a duty to take all reasonable steps to protect and support its staff.
Violent and abusive behaviour includes bullying and or harassment of any description. Violent or abusive behaviour by patients, visitors or staff is not tolerated and decisive action will be taken to protect staff, patients and visitors.